News‎ > ‎

IRS stresses the importance of taxpayers filing a timely report of change of address [IRS Tax Tip 2011-37]

posted Mar 2, 2011, 6:27 AM by NPROSS Administrator
Taxpayers who have changed or are about to change a home or business address should update that information with IRS to ensure they receive any refunds or correspondence. A taxpayer can change an address on file with IRS in several ways: by writing the new address in the appropriate boxes on a tax return; by using Form 8822, Change of Address, to submit an address or name change any time during the year; and by providing the agency written notification of the new address by writing to the IRS center where a tax return is filed. In the event an IRS employee contacts a taxpayer about the taxpayer's account, it may be possible to verbally provide a change of address. The agency also encourages taxpayers to notify their employer and the post office. Additional information, including details for those who make estimated tax payments, can be found at,,id=107477,00.html.